Continuing the ongoing addition of features into the Azure Portal for different components of the Enterprise Mobility + Security suite, Azure Active group based licensing is now in public preview. Here are some of the key take aways from the announcement.
- Licenses can be assigned using any “security group” in Azure AD, whether synced from on-premises or created directly in Azure AD.
- AADP1 or AADP2 subscriptions can combine license management with dynamic group membership
- All Microsoft Online Services that require user-level licensing are supported.
- The administrator can disable one or more service components when assigning a license to a group. This allows staged deployments of rich products like Office 365 Enterprise E5 at scale.
- The feature is only available in the Azure portal.
- Licenses are typically added or removed within minutes of a user joining or leaving a group.
Three additional articles that are worth looking at are